Greenville City Hall is located at 118 Court Street, Greenville, KY 42345; phone: 270-338-3966.
Greenville was settled in 1799 on an estate donated by local landowner William Campbell in order to establish a seat of government for a new county. Greenville was not established by the state assembly until 1812, however. It was incorporated as a city in 1848.
Greenville as described in 1939 
Greenville is the seat of Muhlenberg County. It is the unofficial capital of the Black Belt, an area that produces a large quantity of coal and most of the State's output of dark tobacco. Substantial dwellings with wide verandas and spacious, shady lawns reflect the leisure of the retired farmers who live here.
The Weir House, 206 Main Street, a two-story brick structure, built in the early 1840s, incorporates many Georgian Colonial features. Its entrance has an especially fine fanlight and side lights containing the greenish glass that was in common use when the house was built. The Henry C. Lewis House, a two-story Georgian Colonial style structure, was erected for the Presbyterian Academy in 1852 and used by it until 1873. In 1856 this school was placed under the supervision of Dr. James J. Patterson, who subsequently became president of the University of Kentucky. The Greenville school district now owns and uses the two large, brick buildings that formerly housed Greenville College, a school that flourished from 1875 to 1890.