banner search whats new site index home

Greenup City

Greenup City Hall is located at 1005 Walnut Street, Greenup, KY 41144; phone: 606-473-7331.

McKee House, ca. 1880, 1023 Riverside Drive, Greenup, KY, National Register

Photo: McKee House, ca. 1880, 1023 Riverside Drive, Greenup, KY. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. Photographed by User:Nyttend (own work), 2014, [cc0-by-1.0 (], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed October, 2015.

Greenup as described in 1939 [1]

Greenup, seat of Greenup County, was named for Christopher Greenup, Governor of Kentucky (1804-1808). The town was known as Greenupsburg until 1872 when the name was changed to avoid confusion with Greensburg in Green County. The old brick Greenup County Courthouse was erected in 1811 to replace an earlier one built of logs with puncheon floor and benches.

Greenup is no longer an important river port, and only a few farmers use the old ferry between this point and Haverhill. But the town still attracts the hill folk so colorfully pictured in the autobiography and short stories of Jesse Stuart. Greenup was almost obliterated by the disastrous flood of 1937 when the entire population was suddenly marooned, and desperate efforts had to be made to prevent destruction.

During his later years Daniel Boone is said to have made his home on the Kentucky side of the Ohio River near Greenup. About 1799 he removed from Kentucky to West Virginia by going up the Ohio in a canoe made of the trunk of a tree.

  1. Federal Writers' Project of the Works Progress Administration for the State of Kentucky, University of Kentucky, Kentucky: A Guide to the Bluegrass State, American Guide Series, Harcourt Brace and Company, New York, 1939.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 13783 • Privacy