De Soto City
De Soto City Hall is located at 32905 West 84th Street, De Soto, KS 66018; phone: 913-583-1182.
Named for 16th-century explorer Hernando de Soto, the City was settled about 1857. The De Soto Town Company purchased 80 acres in 1858 and platted a town. The Army's Sunflower Ammunition Plant was established in the early 1940s which resulted in a 250% population increase in under a year. The plant was situated on 9,063 acres near the Kansas River, about three miles south of DeSoto, between Kansas City and Lawrence.