Romeoville Village Hall is located at 1050 West Romeo Road, Romeoville, IL 60466; phone: 815-886-7200.
Romeoville lies in the Illinois and Michigan Canal Historic Corridor. The historic US Route 66 runs through town and was, for most of Romeoville's history, its Main Street. The prairies, forests, and wetlands in the Des Plaines River valley provide an ecological and recreational wonderland.
Throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, areas in close proximity to the Des Plaines River — including the area now known as Romeoville — became popular spots for explorers and fur traders. When plans were made to connect Lake Michigan and the Illinois River, a number of communities were laid out along what is now known as the Illinois and Michigan Canal. Two towns were named after the Shakespearean characters, Romeo and Juliet. Several years after farmers from communities in New York and Ohio settled the town of Romeo in 1932, the city of Juliet changed its name to Joliet in order to honor one of the area's more famous explorers, Louis Joliet. In 1895, residents of Romeo decided to change the town's name to Romeoville, and the community was later incorporated.