Winfield Township administrative offices are located at 130 Arbor Avenue, West Chicago, IL 60185; phone: 630-231-3581.
The first town meeting of Winfield Township was held in 1850. First town officers were: William C. Todd, supervisor; C. L. Shepherd, clerk; Charles Gary, overseer of the poor; James Brown, Job A. Smith and Israel Mather, commissioners of highways; Amos C. Graves and Thomas M. Griswold, constables; Harvey Higby, collector.
In its formative years, the township had 3 churches, 1 academy, 1 grist mill, 2 saw mills, a dozen stores, 10 factories, 3 post offices, and 2 railroad stations. The population was approximately 1,600.
The early township was comprised of three villages: Warrenville, West Chicago and Winfield.