Wheaton City Hall is located at 303 West Wesley Street, Wheaton, IL 60187; phone: 630-260-2000.
Wheaton was incorporated as a village in 1859 having been founded about 1837 by 3 New Englanders: Erastus Gary, Jesse Wheaton and Warren Wheaton.
To bootstrap the town's economy, the founders offered the railroad several miles of free right-of-way; the railroad designated the area Wheaton Depot. To further stimulate growth, the founders deeded lots surrounding the depot at no charge to those who were willing to build immediately.
In 1867 the Wheaton brothers managed a campaign that resulted in the DuPage County Seat being moved from Naperville to Wheaton.
Source: History of Wheaton Illinois, www.wheaton.il.us, accessed August, 2012.
Wheaton's historic architecture include the Adams Memorial Library, Blanchard Hall, DuPage County Courthouse, the Grand Theater, and Trinity Episcopal Church, all of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.