Downers Grove Village
Downers Grove Village Hall is located at 801 Burlington Avenue, Downers Grove, IL 60515; phone: 630-434-5500.
Downers Grove as described in 1874 
The old and familiar town known as Downer's Grove contains about 450 inhabitants, and is a place of worthy remark. It was first settled in the year 1834 by J. Blodgett, a Mr. Curtis, Judge Blanchard, and two or three others, and derived its name from one of its residents named Downer, and the large grove adjoining the village. It is situated in DuPage County, on the line of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy railroad, 19 miles from the Chicago courthouse. The soil in and about the place is rich and peculiarly adapted to fruit and vegetable culture; and being high, and underlaid with gravel, affords excellent surface drainage. About 350 acres of the village land is owned by a Chicago company composed of H. G. Powers, L. L. Greenleaf, A. C. Ducat and others, who propose to convert it into an attractive residence park. About 25 of the residents are Chicago businessmen who find it advantageous to reside there, and who consider that the pleasures there secured are sufficient to liquidate the expenses incurred through railroad fares, etc. There are at present some 90 dwelling-houses (some of which are very good), three general stores, meat market, coal and lumber yard, drug store, two-story brick schoolhouse, four organized churches and a fine hotel. In addition to these, there are perhaps a dozen other dwellings in process of erection; and a steam mill now contemplated by one of the enterprising citizens.