Schaumburg Village Hall is located at 101 Schaumburg Court, Schaumburg, IL 60193; phone: 847-895-4500.
Although the Village of Schaumburg was not incorporated until 1956, its heritage dates to the mid-nineteenth century when settlers began arriving from Germany and the eastern U.S.
Legend has it that the first settler was Trumball Kent from Oswego, New York. Kent was a "Yankee" (as settlers from New England were called in the west. In 1835 he founded a settlement near what is now Olde Schaumburg Centre, formerly known as Sarah's Grove. However, the first 'recorded' settler of Schaumburg Township was German-born Johann Sunderlage. According to legend, Johann was a member of the survey team that divided Cook County into townships around 1833. He liked the area so well that upon completion of the project he brought his family from Germany and settled here around 1836. Johann and Trumball represent the predominant groups that settled Schaumburg Township in its early days. In 1840, about 56% of the Township households were Yankees from the eastern U.S. and about 28% were German born. By the 1850s, the mix changed to 28% Yankee and 48% German.