Martinsville City Hall is located at 19 West Cumberland Street, Martinsville, IL 62442; phone: 217-382-4323.
Martinsville as described in 1939 
Martinsville, platted in 1833 by Joseph Martin, was a lively trading post, stagecoach station, and tavern center. Many famous men and infamous rogues shared the tavern's food, drink and roof for the night. Here stories and toasts were freely exchanged as travelers awaited the next stagecoach westward. But Martinsville did not measurably develop until 1904, when oil and gas were discovered and a boom enveloped the region. By 1916 most of the wells had been drained, and the town lapsed into the slow and quiet existence of a country town. In recent years apple orchards have been planted in the neighborhood, and some apples are shipped from this point. A bronze plaque imbedded in a boulder on the high school grounds commemorates the centennial of the town's founding.