Fort Dodge City
Fort Dodge City Hall is located at 819 First Avenue South, Fort Dodge, IA 50501; phone: 515-573-7144.
Fort Dodge  was originally established as Fort Clark by the US Army in 1850. It was renamed Fort Dodge and later platted by Henn, Williams & Company, the firm of Major William Williams, who also served as the city's first mayor. Fort Dodge became a rail center after two railroads were built through the community in 1869. These rail lines were used to transport coal, clay, and gypsum, which were mined from several area quarries. Today, the city remains a leader in gypsum production, but has diversified its economy to include animal pharmaceuticals and agricultural-based manufacturing.