Batavia City Hall is located at 304 Alto Street, Batavia, IA 52533; phone: 641-662-2313.
Batavia as described in 1938 
Batavia, a prosperous farm village, was first called Greaseville in honor of one of the town's pioneers. The first cabin school, opened in 1849, contained no windows; for ventilation the taller boys would push aside the loose clapboards on the roof; the door swung from wooden hinges that creaked loudly. At the north edge of Batavia are the Ward Kennels.