Mount Pleasant City
Mount Pleasant City Hall is located at 220 West Monroe Street, Mount Pleasant, IA 52641; phone: 319-385-1470.
The southeast Iowa town of Mount Pleasant was platted in 1837 by Presley Saunders. The original plat consisted of forty blocks laid out around a Public Square. Each block contained eight lots measuring 80' by 150' and was divided by a north/south alley sixteen feet wide. The first building in Iowa specifically built for use as a county courthouse was a two story brick building in the center of the Mount Pleasant Public Square in 1839. The Public Square was the focal point of the community from the very beginning.