Clayton City Hall is located at 837 Highway 76 West, Clayton, GA 30525; phone: 706-782-4512.
Clayton as described in 1940 
Clayton is a well-kept town the main street of which is lined with hotels that provide good accommodations for summer visitors. Clayton was incorporated in 1823 as the seat of Rabun County, which had been created in 1819 from Cherokee lands. With relatively little agriculture and few industries, the county has become a typical mountain recreation area. It was settled principally by New Englanders who previously had lived in the mountains of Virginia, and by a few Tories who escaped to the mountains at the time of the Revolution.
In this section July and August, the warmest months, have an average temperature of 73.9°, which means cool days and refreshing nights.
Within the radius of a few miles from Clayton as a point there are twelves lakes (boating, swimming, fishing), six of them formed in the process of power development by the Georgia Power Company. Camping facilities in the Chattahoochee National Forest are easily accessible, and fish are plentiful in the mountain streams. The state's Lake Burton Hatchery on Moccasin Creek supplies trout, bass, and bream for stocking streams. Trails have been built through the country by the U. S. Forest Service, and there is a wealth of picnic areas, equipped in some instances with tables and outdoor ovens. It is a land of forest-clad mountains, shaded dells, sparkling waterfalls, rippling streams, and serene lakes with a plenitude of cool bays and inlets.