Hoschton City Hall is located at 79 City Square, Hoschton, GA 30548; phone: 706-654-3034.
The City of Hoschton's namesake comes from three Hosch brothers, J.R., R.A., and William, who moved to the area and built a store in 1865. The Town was, similarly, first known as "Hoschton's Store" and located east of present downtown at the intersection of Peachtree Road and SR53—where the J.E. Hill home stands. In 1880, two of the Hosch brothers, R.A. and J.R., sought to develop the town and began surveying lots. The brothers devoted may lots for public uses like a church, school, Masonic Lodge, cemetery and the town square. They also sold lots at a public auction on December 21, 1881 that allowed ownership for new residents. By 1889, the town with its linear, grid pattern formally existed in Georgia and within Jackson County. It eventually grew into a bustling town with two cotton gins, a tannery, newspaper, millinery, and school.
Like many towns in Georgia, Hoschton developed as a railroad town after the Gainesville Midland Railroad built its line through the town in 1878. Residents helped bring the railroad to the town by soliciting subscriptions, selling stock, and hiring former Governor A.D. Chandler to assist them in their efforts. The Hoschton Depot evidences the railroad's introduction and is a landmark around which the City rapidly grew. The city limits extended 3/4 mile in every direction from the depot's center. Across from the depot is a commercial block that marked the town's commercial center. Beyond this commercial area, the majority of the City's residential homes existed within a three block area. Other homes also existed along other streets on the north, west and south parts of town.