Locust Grove City
Locust Grove City Hall is located at 3644 Highway 42, Locust Grove, GA 30248; phone: 770-957-5043.
From the best available information it appears that Locust Grove derived its name from a beautiful grove of flowering locust trees around the home of William Carroll, which later became the old home place of Rev. R. F. Smith. It was in Carroll's store that the first post office at Locust Grove was kept.
About 1846 Carroll sold out to William Kimbell. Kimbell kept the post office in his home, which was also operated as a tavern and a place for the accommodation of mule and hog drovers who were numerous in those days. In 1864 Kimbell moved to Louisiana, selling to George P. Combs, Sr., who, with Alexander Cleveland, operated the first blacksmith shop in the place.
About 1847 M. Tidwell built what is known as the Hamp Dickens home. One room of his dwelling was used as a store. About 1852 he sold to Harrison Speer, who built rather a large house which was used as store, post office, and shoe shop.
Prior to this time Mount Gilead was a prosperous Methodist Church located on the site of the present campus of Locust Grove Institute, but which has now gone down. Speer being a devout Methodist gave a site for a new church on the lot where is now the home of Tom Barnett. He, Dick Stillwell, and Charles Barker erected a building and re-organized the church. In 1907 the church was moved to its present location and a handsome concrete building was erected.
In 1869 Harrison Speer sold out to H. B. Dickson, who kept a store in his residence the old Tidwell home. He was the first to operate a public gin in the town, which was an old-fashioned horse-power affair. The first steam gin was operated by Bill Colvin and R. F. Smith in 1874.