Mount Airy Town
Mount Airy Town Hall is located at 869 Dicks Hill Parkway, Mount Airy, GA 30563; phone: 706-778-6990.
Founded in March of 1874, Mount Airy was founded and developed by Colonel M. C. Wilcox. Wilcox was a railroad promoter who hailed from Knoxville, Tennessee. The town has continued its reputation as a summer resort destination. In the late 1800s and 1900s hotels, tourist cottages and summer homes were built in significant numbers. Two of the hotels were the Mount Airy Hotel (built by Wilcox) and the Monterey Hotel, built in 1902 by the Gresham Brothers of Virginia. [Town of Mt. Airy History, www.habershamga.com, accessed May, 2011.