Snellville City Hall is located at 2342 Oak Road, Snellville, GA 30078; phone: 770-985-3500.
The city is named for Thomas Snell who emigrated from England and ended up establishing a general store in an agricultural community called New London. Snell opened the first post office in 1885, serving as its postmaster. The city was incorporated in 1923 with Gladston Snell (a nephew of Thomas Snell) serving as its first mayor. Before the end of that decade the city charter went dormant and was not re-activated until 1940. By the 1960s Snellville's slow growth began to accelerate as new residential development began to attract affluent Atlanta commuters. [www.snellville.com, accessed August, 2012].