Cumming City Hall is located at 100 Main Street, Cumming, GA 30040; phone: 770-781-2010.
When gold was discovered in Georgia in 1828 settlers began moving into the Forsyth County area to mine for gold. The land at the time was occupied by Cherokee Indians. A treaty was signed in 1835 (Treaty of New Echota) relocating the Cherokee's to the Indian Territory in the west. The Georgia territory was formed into Cherokee County in 1831, which split into several counties, including Forsyth, in 1832. The California Gold Rush of 1849 supplanting the 1830s and 1840s mining industry was served by Cumming, and the city suffered an economic depression.