Doraville City Hall is located at 3725 Park Avenue, Doraville, GA 30340; phone: 770-451-8745.
The City of Doraville was incorporated in 1871. The corporate limits of the original town, as chartered by the State, were one-half mile in every direction from the depot of the Atlanta and Richmond Air-Line Railway, in the location of the current Doraville MARTA station.
In the years following the Civil War, the area around Doraville had become a hub on the Atlanta and Charlotte Air-Line Railroad. Construction on the railroad, originally planned in 1856, did not begin until 1869 and involved several reorganizations and name changes. On April 1, 1871 an excursion train from Atlanta to Norcross and Duluth, by way of Doraville, began operation. By September 1873, the railroad extended from Charlotte, N.C. through Doraville and Atlanta to New Orleans. The railroad became part of the newly formed Southern Railway Company in 1894, and it still is Southern's main line from Charlotte to Atlanta. Despite the activity brought by the railroad, the area retained its rural flavor. The 1900 census recorded that Doraville Town had a population of 114 people, with 25 families and 23 dwellings. The first paved road came to Doraville in 1926, when New Peachtree Road was paved from Chamblee to Stewart Road. Buford Highway, now one of the most heavily traveled roads in Doraville, was a dirt road when it was designated Georgia State Road 13 in 1932.
Until the 1940s, Doraville was a small agricultural community that served the interests of a larger surrounding farming area. Two major developments in the late 1930s and early 1940s brought great change to Doraville. DeKalb County built a major water supply system into the area and just before World War II, Plantation Pipeline built a gasoline pumping system and storage facility in Doraville. The pipeline went from Baton Rouge, LA, through Doraville to Greensboro, N.C. By the end of World War II, Doraville's position on the main rail line and its new water system made it a desirable location for growth, which exploded in the late 1940s and the 1950s due to the end of WWII, which was followed by suburban expansion spurred by the GI Bill which increased home ownership. During this time, General Motors selected Doraville as the site for a new assembly plant.