Winterville City Hall is located at 125 South Church Street, Winterville, GA 30683; phone: 706-742-8600.
Three German brothers named "Winter," following Georgia's first railroad, settled here at what was then known as Six-Mile Station in the 1840s. The rail depot became known as Winter's Station and in 1866, the name was changed to Winterville with the creation of a post office. When Winterville was incorporated in 1904 it straddled the boundary line separating Oglethorpe from Clarke counties. In 1906 the part lying within Oglethorpe was transferred to Clarke County.
With the consolidation of Athens and Clarke County in 1990, Winterville maintains its charter and is the only municipality located within the Athens-Clarke County boundary.