Fort Ogden is an unincorporated community about 10 miles southwest of Arcadia, the county seat.
Fort Ogden as described in 1939 
Fort Ogden is a trading center and shipping point for citrus fruit and livestock, occupying the site of an Indian fort of the same name, built in 1841. The site was selected because of its proximity to the source of materials used in the construction of canoes, militarily important because the Everglades, last stronghold of the Seminoles, could be invaded only in canoes. Fifty-five cypress canoes, each capable of carrying eight men, were built here and put into service during the Seminole War. Residents of nearby towns join in celebrating Fort Ogdon's May Day Picnic, held annually for more than half a century. The picnic is a favorite with seekers of public office, who come to orate and distribute cards among their possible supporters.
Cowhands, both on horseback and in flivvers, are seen frequently along the road between Fort Ogden and Punta Gorda.