banner search whats new site index home

Bridgeville Town

Bridgeville Town Hall is located at 101 North Main Street, Bridgeville DE 19933; phone: 302-337-7135.

Beginnings [1]

Bridgeville is one of the oldest surviving communities in western Sussex County. Originally the site of an Indian village, the land on which Bridgeville was founded was part of the original land grant given to Lord Baltimore. The land the town is located on was part of Maryland until 1776, when the boundary between the two states was reconciled. The Town of Bridgeville began in 1730 as an English settlement known as "Bridgeville Branch," the name given to a few scattered homes built along what is now Main Street. The name was retained until January 30, 1810, when an act of the General Assembly changed the name of the village in the Northwest Fork Hundred, known as Bridgeville Branch, to Bridgeville.

In the early 1800s, the town had become somewhat of a commercial center in the region. Prior to 1816, Bridgeville was the largest town in western Sussex County, and is said to have contained two taverns, three stores, a carpenter's shop, and a tailor's shop. In 1812 the town became the center of political activity as well, when a tavern in the village was selected as the voting place for the people of the Northwest Fork Hundred, which included the area of northwestern Sussex County that lies west of the Northwest Fork of the Nanticoke River.

  1. Town of Bridgeville Planning Commission, Town of Bridgeville Comprehensive Plan, 2002/2006,, accessed September 2009.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 18239