Hampton Town Hall is located at 164 Main Street, Hampton, CT 06247; phone: 860-455-9132.
Hampton was originally part of the Town of Windham. By a land distribution in 1712, "Hampton Hill" was opened to purchasers. Nathaniel Hovey bought land in this vicinity in 1713, and soon settled upon it. A hundred acres were sold soon after to Timothy Pearl. The locality was known by the Indian name of Appaquage Hill. Other settlers at or near the hill were John Durkee, Abiel and Robert Hold, Nathaniel Kingsbury, Thomas Fuller, John Button, and George Allen. The settlement here became known as Windham Village. A few sons of old Windham families like Ebenezer Abbe and Stephen Howard, joined in the settlement but most were newcomers from Massachusetts.
In 1716, in answer to a petition, the Town of Windham consented that the northeast part be a parish. The town then petitioned the general assembly to grant a charter to the new parish in 1717. It was granted and the new society was created and given the name of Canada Parish for David Canada who was believed to have built the first house and kept the first tavern in this section.
In 1767 an effort was made to secure greater privileges to the society without becoming a distinct town. This plan failing, the society appointed Captain Jonathan Kingsbury to apply to the general assembly for a grant to allow them the rights of a distinct town. The effort, for the time, was also fruitless. But in 1795 the people again urged their case and in 1786 the assembly passed an act that "the inhabitants of the Second Society of Windham, and those of Pomfret, Brooklyn, Canterbury, Mansfield and First Society in Windham, be constituted a town by the name of Hampton." A census of 1790 counted the town population at over 1,300, most of whom were engaged in agriculture.