Union Town Hall is located at 1043 Buckley Highway, Stafford Springs CT 06076; phone: 860-684-3770.
Because of its remoteness from Connecticut's population centers and its uninviting, hilly terrain, Union was one of the last areas to be settled east of the Connecticut River. Even before the town's formal incorporation in 1734, however, the proprietors of the "Union Lands" took an important step when they set apart 200 acres in the center of Union for a meetinghouse, cemetery, parade ground, and other public purposes. Because Union never developed much trade, commercial agriculture, or industry (with one notable exception), little residential development occurred. The sparse population of Union throughout its history has resulted in a relatively small number of notable old buildings in the town.