North Stonington Town
North Stonington Town Hall is located at 40 Main Street, Pawcatuck, CT 06359; phone: 860-535-2877.
Until its incorporation 1807, North Stonington (Ayres Mills) formed part of the Town of Stonington. The site of the present village of North Stonington was acquired by Samuel Richardson in 1682. In 1702, Richardson sold 30 acres, including what is now the center of the village, to Nathaniel Ayres. A grist mill was mentioned in the transaction. This was apparently located near or on the site of the gristmill and saw mill at the lower dam. Remaining in the Ayres family until 1740, the site was known as Ayres' Mills. After 1740, the mill and eastern portion of the village site passed through several owners until Nathan Avery purchased it in 1766.