See: Town of Groton.
First settled in 1655 as Groton Bank, the area occupied by the present city of Groton developed into the principal village of the Town of Groton. The village of Groton incorporated as a borough in 1903. In 1964, the residents of the borough of Groton reincorporated as the city of Groton. It is the only remaining city in the state of Connecticut whose government and area are consolidated with its parent town. (Source: en.wikipedia.org, accessed October, 2010).