Westbrook Town Hall is located at 866 Boston Post Road, Westbrook CT 06498; phone: 860-399-3040.
The present town was part of the Saybrook Colony established in the 1630's. In 1648 the area between the Pachaug and the Menunketesuck Rivers was known as the Oyster River Quarter. From 1724 to 1810 this area was called Pachaug or Saybrook West Society. In 1810 it was renamed Westbrook, and in 1840 it was incorporated as a separate town. The area of the town is approximately 16 square miles. Among early settlers we find names still familiar in Westbrook today: Bushnell, Chapman, Stannard, Post and Wright. The 1872 maps shown on the cover of this report indicate that the town center and developmental pattern were well established more than a hundred years ago.
The historic fabric and small town rural character of Westbrook are appreciated and many of our townspeople find these qualities a legacy worth saving. The character of the town is still defined in large part by its coastal location and history. Its attractive beaches and river inlets shaped the vacation housing and marine businesses that characterize much of the town south of the turnpike. Its ties to the past are expressed by historic buildings and cemeteries throughout the town. The town center retains some of its historic character and scale but is in need of renovation.