Middlefield Town Hall is located at 393 Jackson Hill Road, Middlefield CT 06455; phone: 860-349-7115. The Town of Middlefield was incorporated in 1866.
Middlefield land was originally deeded to William Ward 1st, one of the 52 proprietors of Middletown, of which Middlefield was a part until 1852. In 1671 he was granted a 500-acre strip of the land in the western most tier of lots, an area known then as the "middle fields," one of several seventeenth-century divisions of land on both sides of the Connecticut River. Although the land passed to the proprietors' descendants through inheritance, no settlement took place in Middlefield until the early 1700s. William the 1st, a wealthy man by colonial standards, was not only land rich, but a weaver by trade. He left extensive acreage to all his sons, with a double portion to Thomas, his first born. In an unusual move he also willed land and half his weaver's tools to his grandson William, Thomas's son.