Killingworth Town Hall is located at 323 Route 81, Killingworth CT 06419; phone: 860-663-1765.
Killingworth, which originally included the Town of Clinton, was established in 1667. Settlement began near a natural harbor on Long Island Sound, in what is now the historic town center of Clinton. John Parmele [sic], the progenitor of the family associated with the house, was one of the first proprietors.
By 1716 population pressures forced the division and settlement of the inland valleys. Nathaniel Parmelee, an early settler in the back country, variously known as the Pine Orchard or Union District, was also instrumental in the founding of a second Congregational Church society or parish there in 1730. Although there was some agitation for separate towns by the end of the century, the community was not divided until 1838. The North Parish retained the town records and the original name of Killingworth, and the older southern society was renamed Clinton.