The Chester Town Hall is located at 203 Middlesex Avenue, Chester CT 06412; phone: 860-526-0013.
The Town of Chester, named from Chester in England, was settled in 1692, organized as a parish of Old Saybrook in 1740, and made a separate town in 1836. Chester is a rough hill country, and contains part of the Cockaponset State Forest.
Chester Village has been a manufacturing center since early days, drawing power from the Pattaconk River. The most important products [in the 1930s] are augurs, bright wire goods, and manicure sets. At the center is an old store building of native granite, probably dating to 1809.