Middlesex County Connecticut
County Government in Connecticut was abolished in 1960. The eight counties continue solely as geographical and historical subdivisions of the state.
Middlesex was made a county by an act of the Legislature of Connecticut, passed at their session in May, 1785, and then consisted of six towns: Middletown, Chatham, Haddam, and East-Haddam, which were taken from the county of Hartford; and Saybrook and Killingworth, taken from the county of New London. Durham was annexed to Middlesex in May, 1799, from the county of New Haven; and the county (in 1819) consists of seven towns which include eighteen located congregational societies together with several societies of other denominations, and one hundred and twelve school districts. It was invested at its formation with the same privileges enjoyed by other counties of the State, and Middletown, being the principal town in the county, was selected as a half-shire; while Haddam, being the central town, was selected as the other half-shire, in which places, courthouses, and gaols were subsequently erected.