Winchester Town Hall is located at 338 Main Street, Winsted, CT 06098; phone: 860-738-6962.
With its name taken from Winchester, England, the town was first laid out in 1732. The region was remote, and the first settler did not arrive until 1750. The town was incorporated in 1771. Winchester is broken hill country, the elevations ranging from 700 to over 1,500 feet. It is in the Greenwoods section of the State, and was known for its abundant hemlock and pine.
The downtown city area of the town is known as the City of Winsted. It was formerly a borough (1856) and a separate city (1915). The name was created by combining parts of Winchester and the neighboring Town of Barkhamsted.