Watertown Town Hall is located at 424 Main Street, Watertown, CT 06795; phone: 860-945-5255.
The area was first settled about 1701. A parish of Westbury in Waterbury was organized in 1738, and the present town incorporated in 1780. Watertown is high hill country, famous in the early days for its breed of "Connecticut Red" oxen and General Humphrey's merino sheep. By the 1930s there was a considerable suburban and summer colony. The Hemenway Silk Company began making silk thread in 1849, followed by rayon plants and shellac plants. Nathaniel Wheeler, one of the pioneers in the development of the sewing machine, was born here, and organized the Wheeler and Wilson firm in 1851, moving to Bridgeport in 1856. The manufacture of Plam Leaf Hats was another early industry.