Washington Town Hall is located at 2 Bryan Plaza, Washington Depot, CT 06794; phone: 860-868-2786.
The Town of Washington was settled in 1734. In 1741, the Judea Society of Woodbury was organized, and in 1753 another parish at New Preston. A town was incorporated in 1779, the first in the country to be named for George Washington.
Washington is a mountain region, cut by the deep gorge of the Shepaug River and noted for its scenery. In 1935 there was a large summer colony on Lake Waramaug, as well as many estates in the vicinity of Washington Center.