Canaan Town Hall, Falls Village CT 06031; phone: 860-824-0707.
Named for the Biblical land of Canaan, this Town was auctioned at New London in 1738 with bids starting at 60 pounds per right, the highest rate for Litchfield County. Settlers flocked in that same year, and the town was incorporated in 1739. The town is made up of mountains on the south and east, with a plain along the Housatonic, from which cultivated valleys reach back into the hills. Portions of the Housatonic State Forest lie within the town's boundaries.