banner search whats new site index home

Windsor Locks Town

Windsor Locks Town Hall is located at 50 Church Street, Windsor Locks, CT 06096; phone: 860-627-1441.

Beginnings [1]

Windsor Locks, originally known as Pine Meadow, lies on the west side of the Enfield Rapids. A fording place on the Connecticut River at this point, the only one in the Colony, probably was used by the companies which went to Hartford and Windsor. Windsor Locks was settled as a part of Windsor in 1683. At the outbreak of the Revolution, there were 9 heads of families here, and 8 of them enlisted in the army.

Commercial development began in 1829 with the completion of the Canal, built by Hartford business men to meet the competition of the canal from New Haven to Northampton. It is said that a committee sent to England to investigate the new railroads, had decided that railroads were not practical. When water transportation fell off in the railroad era, the Canal proved a valuable source of power, and several 999-year leases were made to industries established on its banks. Windsor Locks became noted for its paper mills. Among other industries in the 1930s were yarn and knitting factories and large tobacco packing establishments.

Windsor Locks was incorporated as a separate town in 1854.

  1. Edgar L. Heermance, compiler, The Connecticut Guide: What to See and Where to Find It, Connecticut Emergency Relief Commission, Hartford, 1935.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 13880 • Privacy