banner search whats new site index home

Enfield Town


Enfield Town Hall is located at 820 Enfield Street, Enfield CT 06082; phone: 860-253-6300.

Beginnings [1]

Enfield was originally a part of Springfield. The town was first settled in 1680 by families from Salem, MA and (according to some historians) thought to have been named from Enfield in the English county of Middlesex. For the Connecticut River traffic to Springfield, flat-bottomed boats were poled up the rapids and then reloaded; expert pole men made a good living at this until the Canal was constructed in 1829. Enfield, with Suffield and Woodstock, seceded from Massachusetts, and was admitted by the Connecticut General Assembly in 1749.

  1. Edgar L. Heermance, compiler, The Connecticut Guide: What to See and Where to Find It, Connecticut Emergency Relief Commission, Hartford, 1935.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 13864 • Privacy