East Hartford Town
East Hartford Town Hall is located at 740 Main Street, East Hartford, CT 06108; phone: 860-291-7100.
East Hartford is located on the Connecticut River directly across from Hartford, the capital city. Rising from the river floodplain in several terraces, its 18 square miles extend to the edge of the hills of the Eastern Uplands, an area roughly bisected by the Hockanum River, a source of waterpower since the colonial period. Settled in the early seventeenth century by people from Hartford, East Hartford remained a part of that town until 1783, when it was incorporated as a separate town, but its economy and development were closely tied to its parent city through most of its history. Laid out in the 1670s, Main Street became part of the major country road that connected towns on the east side of the river. Until the last decades of the nineteenth century, this street served a farming community and farms lined its path. Blessed with arable land and access to the state's major navigable river, the community saw its subsistence farming give way to commercial agriculture, especially the growing of tobacco.