Bristol City Hall is located at 111 North Main Street, Bristol CT 06010; phone: 860-584-6100.
Bristol was formerly the parish of New Cambridge in Farmington, organized in 1744. The first settlement was in 1727 and 1728. The town was incorporated in 1785, and named probably from Bristol, England. During the American Revolution there was a considerable Tory minority here, and Moses Dunbar, who had joined the British forces on Long Island and had been given a captain's commission, was hanged in 1777 for persuading other young men to enlist in the King's army.
The town is watered by the Peequabuck River. It consists of an eastern plain on which is located (in 1935) the manufacturing village of Forestville, and a hilly western section. The City of Bristol, coterminous with the former Town of Bristol, was chartered in 1911. In 1935 it had a population of approximately 28,500. Clock Making was Bristol's noted historic industry.