Berlin Town Hall is located at 240 Kensington Road, Berlin CT 06037; phone: 860-828-7000.
The Town of Berlin, incorporated in 1785, was named for Berlin, Prussia, the capital of Frederick the Great, who had been an ally of England and the Colonies in the Seven Year War. The first settlement was at the Great Swamp in 1686. About 1712 a church was organized at Kensington as the second parish of Farmington; in 1772 this was divided, the families who lived to the east organizing the parish of Worthington. The town consists of a series of north and south ridges, bordered by mountain ranges on the west and south.
Berlin was a pioneer in industrial development, and later gave birth to the manufacturing center of New Britain. The tin-ware industry was started in 1740 by Edward Pattison and his brother William, who had come from Ireland two years before. They imported sheet tin from England and worked it up into various kitchen utensils.