banner search whats new site index home

Trumbull Town

Trumbull Town Hall is located at 5866 Main Street, Trumbull CT 06611; phone: 203-452-5035.

Beginnings [1]

Trumbull was organized into a township by the Legislature in October, 1797. Previous to this the ecclesiastical societies had passed through a period of sixty-four years, during which they had in charge of religious and educational interests of the people. These societies were two: Unity, which existed 14 years, and North Stratford, 50 years, wherein great and many changes transpired, and the records of the churches and these societies furnish a largely reliable history of the people.

The first inhabitants resident within the territory now called Trumbull, so far as has been ascertained, was the family of Abraham Nichols, at Nichols' Farm, about or a little before 1690. There are intimations that after residing there, or perhaps only cultivating some land there, for a time they returned to Stratford village to reside, or removed to Woodbury, returning after some years, for after 1700 the locality for many years was called "Old Farm," as though it was or had been deserted for a time.

The Town record says that in January 1722-1723, "Gideon and Ephraim Hawley agree to build a mill or mills together on the stream of Paquonnock river at the narrows by White plain." About the same time the White Plain Road was laid out as far west as "Pulpit Rock," so called at the time.

  1. Orcutt, Reverend Samuel, A History of the Old Town of Stratford and the City of Bridgeport Connecticut, Part II, Fairfield County Historical Society, New Haven, 1886.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 1754 • Privacy