banner search whats new site index home

Sherman Town

Sherman Town Hall is located at 9 Route 39 North, Sherman, CT 06784; phone: 860-355-1139.

Beginnings [1]

The town was first settled about 1736. A parish of North New Fairfield was organized in 1744. It was incorporated as a town in 1802, named for Roger Sherman, who as a young man, living with his brother, plied his shoemaker's trade. One of the town's distinguished sons, Reverend Philo P. Stewart (1798-1868), became a western missionary and founded Oberlin College.

  1. Edgar L. Heermance, compiler, The Connecticut Guide: What to See and Where to Find It, Connecticut Emergency Relief Commission, Hartford, 1935.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 1751 • Privacy