Newtown Town Hall is located at 3 Primrose Street, Newtown CT 06470; phone: 203-270-4210.
The town was first settled in 1709 after a group of men from Stratford and Milford bought a tract of land from the Indians who lived along the stream called "Pootatuck." At that time the area was known as Quanneapague.
At the first meeting of the proprietors of "New Towne" (September 24, 1711), at the house of Peter Hubble, the following were elected: Abraham Kimberly, constable, Ebenezer Prindle and Thomas Sharp, surveyors, Joseph Graye and Thomas Foore, fence-viewers, Peter Hubbel, clerk.
That same year, the first grist mill was built, by Jeremiah Turner. The first school house was built in 1717.