Brookfield Town Hall is located at 100 Pocono Road, Brookfield CT 06804; phone: 203‑775‑7300.
Beginnings [1, 2]
After settlement, c. 1700, the nominated area first gained local identity in 1754 by the establishment of the Parish of Newbury, named for the neighboring towns of New Milford, Newtown, and Danbury. The same three municipalities each yielded some land, in 1788, to form the Town of Brookfield, named after the Reverend Thomas Brooks, the first Congregational minister, who served from 1755 to 1796. Population reached its 19th-century peak of 1445 in 1840 when, in addition to farming, there was modest industrial activity of gristmills, sawmills, manufacturing of combs & hats and an iron forge at the Village of Brookfield Iron Works (now Brookfield) north, of the Center.
Incorporated in 1788, Brookfield was formed from parts of New Milford, Newtown and Danbury. In 1810 there were 1,037 inhabitants. In 1819 Brookfield contained 2 grain mills, 1 fulling mill and clothier's works, 1 carding machine, 2 mercantile stores and 4 taverns.