Edgewater City Hall is located at 2401 Sheridan Boulevard, Edgewater, CO 80214; phone: 303-235-8300.
In 1861, Thomas Sloan uncovered an underground spring while digging a well on his farm. The spring flooded 200 acres and created Sloan's Lake, from which the farmer cut ice to sell to area breweries. The area west of the lake became known as "Edgewater." A cattle trail accessed the lake, which provided water for traveling animals. In 1889, the area was advertised as "a most delightful and elegant area for homes." One history states, "In actuality, it wasn't 'elegant' at all—it was boggy, muddy, and barren—but there was a lot of open space." In 1890, George Noll moved from Denver to build one of the town's first houses and open a grocery and meat market, attracting other settlers. The Manhattan Beach amusement park developed on the north side of Sloan's Lake in 1891, including steamship rides, a roller coaster, a zoo, dance pavilion, and circus acts before closing in 1914. The first school opened in 1891, a one-room log building known as the "hog hollow school" for its location near a pig farm; a brick school replaced it in 1901. The City of Edgewater incorporated in 1904, when it contained several saloons and reportedly featured bordellos along what is now West 25th Avenue. The town went dry in 1908, and families gradually replaced the rowdier elements with a stable, small town atmosphere. The town's 1940 population totaled 1,648.