banner search whats new site index home

Commerce City

Commerce City municipal offices are located at 7887 East 60th Avenue, Commerce City, CO 80022; phone: 303-289-3600.

Beginnings [1]

As Colorado historians Stephen Leonard and Thomas Noel describe, "German hog farmers first settled along Sand Creek, feeding their pigs Denver's garbage and then feeding the hogs back to Denver." Italian and Japanese truck gardeners raised vegetables and fruits, and dairies also found the area attractive. The first school in the vicinity opened in 1871. Agricultural endeavors continued to dominate the local economy during the early twentieth century. An oil refinery arrived in 1930, and grain elevators rose late in the decade. Substantial change and growth arrived with the establishment of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal to the east during World War II. Commerce City, organized initially as Commerce Town, did not incorporate until 1952.

  1. Thomas H. Simmons and R. Laurie Simmons, historians, Front Range Research Associates, Inc.; Dawn Bunyak, Historian, Bunyak Research Associates, Historic Residential Subdivisions of Metropolitan Denver, 1940-1965, nomination document, 2010, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 22333