banner search whats new site index home

Los Angeles County California




Eugene W. Britt House, ca. 1910, 2141 West Adams Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA.

Photo: Eugene W. Britt House, ca. 1910, 2141 West Adams Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Photographed by User:Los Angeles (own work), 2008, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed February, 2013.

The Los Angeles County Courthouse is located at 500 West Temple Street, Los Angeles CA 90012; phone: 213-974-1311.

Created February 18, 1850. This county was one of the original twenty-seven of the State of California. The words "Los Angeles" literally mean "the angels," and are a contraction of the original name "Pueblo del Rio de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles de Porciuncula" (the town of the river of Our Lady, Queen of the Angels). It will therefore be observed that Los Angeles was really named for the Virgin Mary, commonly called "Our Lady of the Angels" by the Spanish. On September 7, 1781, Governor Felipe de Neve issued orders from the San Gabriel Mission for the establishment of a pueblo on El Rio Nuestra Senora de Los Angeles and under the protection of Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles (Our Lady, Queen of the Angels), the mission by this name having been dedicated three days before, having practically the same title. This pueblo in time became known as the Ciudad de Los Angeles, "the City of the Angels," and it is from this that the county derived its patronymic.

  1. McGroarty, John S., California: Its History and Romance, Grafton Publishing Company, 1911, Los Angeles
Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 215-295-6555 • 1201