banner search whats new site index home

Heber Springs City

Heber Springs City Hall is located at 1001 Main Street, Heber Springs, AR 72543; phone: 501-362-3635.

Beginnings [1]

The area now occupied by the town of Heber Springs was first settled in 1835 by John Magness, who homesteaded a 40-acre tract on which free-flowing sulphur springs were located. The Magness property was located near an inverted cone mountain, called Tonawanda by the Indians, but known as Sugar Loaf Mountain by the white settlers. In 1837 Magness sold his land to John T. Jones, Richard B. Lee, Richard D. C. Collins, and William McKirn who intended to capitalize on the springs by developing a resort community. Responding to a proposal by Jones, the General Assembly of the state of Arkansas approved an act in 1838 to incorporate the White Sulphur Springs Company. Governor James Sevier Conway signed the act which recognized the group's desire to improve the land "for the purpose of making it a convenient and healthy resort for the good citizens of Arkansas."

  1. Clarence Frauenthal House, Cleburne County, AR, nomination document, NRHP #93001256, National Park Service, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.,, accessed February, 2013.

Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 21303