Gardendale City Hall is located at 970 Main Street, Gardendale, AL 35071; phone: 205-631-8789.
From the end of the War of 1812 until the Civil War, about a dozen families settled in the area that was to become Gardendale, then known as Jugtown. Among them was Otis Dyer who claimed a homestead of about 80 acres in 1825.
After the Civil War development of the area accelerated. Coal mines were opened in the 1970s. William H. Parker, a former Union Army soldier, opened a grist mill in 1873. These were soon followed by James Kimmons' general store and a community co-op created for canning fruits and vegetables.
The first church (Baptist) was established in 1876.
The name was changed from Jugtown to Gardendale in 1906 due to the efforts initiated by a local schoolteacher (Hettie Cargo) who considered the former name an embarrassment.
Gardendale was incorporated as a city in 1955. The first mayor was J. J. Pesnell.
History of Gardendale, gardendale.lib.al.us, accessed March, 2001.