LaFayette City Hall is located at 50 Alabama Avenue West, LaFayette, AL 36862; phone: 334-864-7181.
Photo: Ernest McCarty Oliver House, ca. 1895, LaFayette Street (Route 431) La Fayette, AL. The outside walls are 22 inches thick and constructed of solid brick, except for two rooms at the rear which were built first, and are of rock and limestone. Inside, the walls are plaster over laths.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Photographed by user:Rivers A. Langley (own work), 2011, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed October, 2015.
When Chambers County was created in 1932, county commissioners decided the seat of government should be established as near the center of the county as possible. This required the creation of a new town, first known as Chambersville. A town was platted and lots came up for auction beginning in 1933. Incorporated in 1935, the name was changed to LaFayette to honor Revolutionary War hero, the Marquis de Lafayette.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2018 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com
• 25186 • Privacy